According to the school's chronicle many inhabitants emigrated in 1824. Sixteen families left Flechum together and emigrated.
Furthermore, a military training area was located in Flechum. Its size was around 40 acres and a dam surrounded it. During the war in 1866 the soldiers of the king of Hanover exercised here.
Already in 1927 Felchum received electric light.
The school's development was closely connected to Flechum's history. Shepherd Johann Kötter became the county's first full time teacher in 1823. Before, he had attended a six-week preparation course in Osnabrueck. The first schoolhouse, however, was built far earlier. Like in other counties it was a simple construction with thin walls made of clay. Therefore, it was soon necessary to build a new schoolhouse. The construction plan dates from April 25, 1842. In 1878 the teacher received an official residence for free. The schoolhouse was constructed in the typical style of the Ems-area, similar to the still existing schools in Huelsen and Lohe. After several decades Flechum's schoolhouse was not adequate anymore. Thus, a new building was constructed in 1930/31 and inaugurated on November 1, 1931. Later, the catholic elementary school with only one class became primary school for the first four school years. Due to declining enrolments a few years ago, Flechum was called "smallest school in Lower Saxony". Nevertheless, Flechum's parents succeeded in maintaining the school. This very day, the schoolhouse still serves for school education and houses the primary school Flechum/Westerloh. The first two years Flechum's, Huelsen's and Westerloh's children are taught in Flechum, for year three and four they change to the school in Westerloh. As the school still is the county's centre this arrangement has proven to be successful.
Another important educational institution is the kindergarten Flechum which has its own history. Then-teacher Gerhard Kampmeyer, who was a very dedicated person, established in cooperation with committed parents a kindergarten in his residence on the school's first floor. The association "Kinderspielkreis Flechum e.V." was responsible for this institution until the county Flechum took it over on January 1, 1973. Due to structural reforms the kinder garden was handed over to the city of Haseluenne on March 1, 1974. Declining birth rates also affected the kindergarten. However, parents defended "their" kindergarten as successfully as the school. As a compromise the kindergarten became a place for children to play which offers similar pedagogic education as a kindergarten.
For centuries, services were hold in the chapel of Hoeven. After the Second World War a barrack was remodelled to become a chapel. Colourful windows and a bell tower gave it a dignified appearance. Due to increasing population figures the chapel became too small and a "real" church was built with joint efforts. The main part of the construction costs was paid through 120,000 German Marks donated by Flechum's 440 inhabitants. The building was planned by the architects Bruemmer and inaugurated on October 2, 1967. According to a newspaper article about the chapel's inauguration, its quadratic form, which facilitates clarity and a compact grouping of believers, make it special.