In parish registers the name Flechtmann or Flechmann occurs frequently. Simme assumes that this family lived on one of the estates in Hoeven. The register about communicants and population of the "farming community Flechtmann" documents 45 adults over 14 years of age and 12 families for the year 1652. According to the school's chronicle there existed 14 sole heir estates with Heuerleuten (landless cottagers) in Flechum. The estate Schulte had to pay its tributes to Flechtmann. The rest had to pay to the estate Eickhoff.
Flechum's cows were allowed to pasture on Haseluenne's Male Moor. The estates owned numerous sheep herds. In 1872 the farmland was split and the number of sheep decreased. The introduction of artificial fertilizers changed Flechum's agriculture significantly as sheep dung was no longer needed.
In former times, a big oak tree forest was located close to the military road. The last leftover was the "Klusebohm", an ancient oak tree that unfortunately died off a few years ago. A new tree was planted. Centuries ago, the Klusebohm was the place of the court. Here, as well as on a broad stone in Haseluenne law was administered.
Due to the century-long existing meadows for sheep, heathland and sand dunes developed around Flechum and in other areas of the Emsland. The bishop of Muenster Maximilian Friedrich (1761-1784) wanted to improve the situation by sowing 58,000 bushels of seed in the area of Haseluenne. Like in other counties, Flechum's inhabitants did not appreciate these plans.
Entries in the school's chronicle prove that Flechum's farmers cooked the tree seeds in order to prevent germination and used them as fertilizers for their fields. After this initial opposition, farmers realized that pine plantations stopped sand drifts. Another step to prevent drifting sand was the creation of dams around meadows and fields.
Flechum is located aside the military road from Haseluenne to Loeningen. From today's point of view this was a good decision as Flechum, in contrast to Eltern, does not suffer from continually rising traffic. When the railway was built Flechum obtained its own train station. The station's building was constructed in 1900. It was paid from the receipts of the sale of a parcel, namely, the meadows in Haseluenne's Male Moor.